Jenn Johns is a kindergarten teacher by day and YouTube entrepreneur by night. In just 3 years she and her husband, Paul, have turned her love of baking into Cookies Cupcakes and Cardio, a YouTube success story. In this episode she tells us how she got started, about her niche, and how she’s able to be so successful in baking—an incredibly competitive field on YouTube. Her videos routinely get hundreds of thousands of views per episode.
In the interview we discuss how she got started, business strategy, the equipment used to make the videos, the production process, how other platforms are used (Pinterest, Facebook, Tumblr, her blog), keeping up with fan YouTube comments and email, and what’s next. Want to learn how to be a YouTube success? Listen to Jenn’s story.
1. Decide on your niche. You can make a niche YouTube channel out of almost any personal interest. Jenn’s niche is showing her audience that anyone can make seemingly impossible-to-make baked items.
2. Get started. These days all you need is a smartphone and good lighting. One or two $10 dollar shop lights with a 100 watt compact fluorescent bulb can brighten things up.
3. Everyone is rough around the edges when first starting. Keep making videos and you will improve as you do.
4. Go where your audience is. Use other social media platforms to drive traffic to your YouTube channel and build your brand.
5. Get a helper. As noted in the podcast, Jenn’s husband does the videoing and editing. It’s much easier to produce videos and manage the other work when the workload is shared. As noted in the podcast, Jenn’s husband learned how to make her videos from scratch.
SmallBizClub.com publishes guest posts from entrepreneurs, small business owners, and business writers. To learn more about how to become a guest writer for SmallBizClub.com, visit our “Write for Us” page.
Small Biz Club is the premier destination for small business owners and entrepreneurs. To succeed in business, you have to constantly learn about new things, evaluate what you’re doing, and look for ways to improve—that’s what we’re here to help you do.