Freelance Designers & Crowdsourcing
Now in 2014, crowdsourcing platforms offer access to thousands and thousands of freelance designers in locations around the world. You will find freelancers who do all kinds of design work including:
- Logo design
- Product label design
- Business cards and stationery design
- Sign design
- Tee shirt design
- Menu design
- Poster design
- Brochure design
- Advertising design
The Crowdsourcing Process
Most crowdosurcing sites offer a step by step project ordering process that is user-friendly and very easy to navigate—making posting a design contest a breeze. If you’ve never hired freelancers through a crowdsourcing platform, you’re probably wondering how it works. In this example, we’ll explain how to hire freelancers to design your business card.
- First, all crowdsourcing platforms offer free account registration. Once you’ve become a member, the next step is to choose your product—in this instance we choose ‘Business Card.’
- Once you’ve chosen a product, the most tedious part is next, writing the brief. When writing a design brief make sure to be as detailed as possible—provide both business details (what your business does, services, products and what it stands for) and design details (colors, fonts and branding requirements).
- With crowdsourcing, you assign your project a deadline—the basic premise is the longer the deadline the more designs you will receive. However, a shorter deadline can mean those urgent projects can be completed on time.
- Most design crowdsourcing platforms offer a range of packages from basic to advanced. These can vary from $100 to $500+ depending on the design type you are looking for. Each package can be customized, and you can opt to keep your project private or allow it to be seen by search engines. Again, the premise with the packages is the more you spend the more designs you’ll receive. A higher budget attracts more designers and often the higher quality designers to your project.
- Once payment is completed, your design contest or job is released to the “crowd.” Here designers from all over the world can view your brief and choose to enter the contest. Once your job has been posted, designs usually start coming in, in a matter of hours.
Crowdsourcing is changing the way the world hires graphic designers. No longer is anyone limited to the designers who live in their general area. When you choose to work with a crowdsourcing outfit, you have access to hundreds of thousands of profession, experienced and highly talented artists who are ready to create you a beautiful design.
Author: Clancy Clarke is the Organic Search manager at DesignCrowd, a design crowdsourcing platform making crowdsourcing more accessible for small business. Clancy has over 7 years of online marketing experience ranging from large inhouse roles to agency land. He’s got a passion for analytics and a degree in Petroleum Engineering from the University of New South Wales.