Home > Sales and Marketing > Online Marketing > 3 Ways to Optimize for the Latest Facebook Algorithm Changes

3 Ways to Optimize for the Latest Facebook Algorithm Changes

5d9106cd3b26b3ecac196958778c9f70
On August 6th, Facebook published an overview of their most recent algorithm changes. These will influence what your fans will see in their News Feed. Check out our recap and what it means for you.

 
1. Get Your Fans to Engage With Your Message
 
According to Facebook, every time someone visits News Feed, there are on average 1,500 potential stories for them to see. With the new algorithm changes it will prioritize 300 of those stories to show in your feed.
 
Facebook shared some information on what will help you make the 300 so that people see your posts. The News Feed algorithm responds to signals from you, including, for example:
 
  • How often you interact with the friend, Page, or public figure (like an actor or journalist) who posted
  • The number of likes, shares and comments a post receives from the world at large and from your friends in particular
  • How much you have interacted with this type of post in the past
  • Whether or not you and other people across Facebook are hiding or reporting a given post
 
What does this mean: Make sure your fans are engaging with your posts. If your posts don’t have interaction, your fan may not see your future messages.
 
2. Your Old Stories Have a Chance To Be Seen
 
With the recent change, organic stories that people did not scroll down far enough to see can reappear near the top of News Feed if the stories are still getting lots of likes and comments.
 
What does this mean: It’s very likely that your engaging posts will be seen by more fans. Facebook mentioned that in the past, people read 57% of stories in their News Feed. Now the other 43% have a chance to see your best content.
 
In a recent test with a small number of users, this change resulted in a 5% increase in the number of likes, comments and shares on the organic stories people saw from friends and an 8% increase in likes, comments and shares on the organic stories they saw from Pages
 
3. Sponsored posts
 
Good news for sponsored posts: according to Facebook, the changes of showing more old stories will not have an impact on how your posts will appear.
 
What does this mean: For businesses, this is business as usual. For consumers, I foresee your News Feed potentially getting busier.
 
For more from Facebook on this change, check out their recap.
 
This article was originally published by DigiShopGirl
Published: August 9, 2013
2020 Views

Trending Articles

Stay up to date with
a person

Katya Constantine

Katya Constantine is a seasoned marketer with over 10 years of online marketing experience. She has developed a well-credentialed background in marketing for large online brands, having significantly increased online performance at several large web properties. Katya also has a deep background in email and multi-channel marketing. Most recently, she was at Expedia and Amazon, leading projects ranging from behavior-based programs to increasing customer acquisition and conversion with great success. Katya is the founder of DigiShopGirl Media. Currently, she advises several ventures with their online marketing. She also contributes to several blogs and publications and readers worldwide regularly read her blog, DigiShopGirl Media Blog. Follow Katya on Twitter: @digishopgirl

Related Articles