Gaming has become one of the most popular activities for people of all ages all over the world. The rise of esports and platforms like Twitch and YouTube have now made it so passionate players can turn their skills into a legitimate career.
It isn’t easy to build a career as a professional gamer but playing video games for a living has become a reality for a growing number of people. Talent is necessary to become successful, but you’ll also need to know how to market yourself well. If you’re considering a career in gaming, read on for some marketing tips for professional gamers.
What should professional gamers know about marketing?
- There’s no replacement for making elite content. That means designing a professional setup that enables you to provide excellent audio and video quality for prerecorded videos and livestreams. What type of microphone you use will play a huge role in ensuring that you can communicate clearly with your audience and that your content is enjoyable. No one wants to watch someone they can’t understand or who consistently has issues with feedback and static. There are a lot of mics to choose from, so make sure you take the time to research the best streaming microphone before you make a purchase.
- If you’re an esports pro who is looking to diversify your revenue, getting into streaming is a great idea. Showing off your competitive skills is a smart way to attract people to your channel, particularly since you’re likely to be able to play at a higher level than most streamers. Look into video production services and hire someone to make a compilation of all your tournament highlights and competition wins. You want to be able to show potential viewers what makes your channel unique and what they can find there that they won’t find anywhere else.
- Collaboration is also essential for professionals. Talk to other pros about playing together on stream or making YouTube videos together. You should also take advantage of the “raid” feature on Twitch, which enables you to host another person’s stream on your channel. You can gain a significant number of viewers and subscriptions by having a well-known streamer with a different audience raid your channel after they finish a live broadcast.
- Creating a streaming setup requires more than just a microphone. One gaming accessory that every professional player needs is a comfortable gaming chair. You’ll need to be able to handle play sessions that last for hours, which can be hard on your back, neck, and spine. A specially designed gaming chair will have the ergonomic features and support you need to avoid pain and soreness when you’re playing on stream. If you’ve ever watched any popular streamers on Twitch, you’ve probably noticed that almost all of them use gaming chairs.
- You’ll also need a webcam, though many players use the one built into their computer. While this can be sufficient when you’re just starting out, most of the big-name streamers use separate webcams that are designed to provide professional video quality even during a live broadcast. There are a lot of different models and brands, so it’s a good idea to read some reviews and customer experiences before you decide which one to purchase.
As the online gaming world continues to expand and develop, there will likely be even more opportunities for gamers to monetize their favorite hobby. Though gaming for a living sounds like a dream, you’ll need to treat it like any other job if you want to succeed. That will mean buying high-quality equipment, making regular time for practice, and learning how to market yourself. Commercial videos, collaboration, and consistent content creation are the best ways to attract viewers, no matter what type of games you play.