- Obtain senior leadership support.
- Build safe and secure work communities.
- Encourage all employees—from the CEO down—to embrace the following tips to increase energy and productivity.
1. Encourage employees to do the most important activity first thing in the morning for no longer than 90 minutes and then take a break.
2. Encourage employees to keep a running list of everything that is on their minds so they can get it off their minds.
3. Ask employees to ask themselves “Is this the best use of my time?” every time they go online. Sometimes it will be. More often, though, it is not. If the answer is no, ask “What is?” Then do it.
4. Encourage employees to systematically train their attention. A simple way is to read more books, preferably good ones.
5. Encourage employees to take a few minutes each day—either just before they leave work or just before they go to sleep—to write down the two or three most important things they want to accomplish tomorrow and when they intend to work on them.
6. Encourage employees to monitor their moods. When demand exceeds capacity, one of the most common signs is increased negative emotions.
- Develop policies and practices that empower employees to build resilience and have senior leaders lead by example.